Monday, March 21, 2011

Antibiotics!

I have definitely had a busy couple of weeks! First on Friday the 11th my surgeon had to put a drain in my mastectomy site to drain the extra fluid that has been building up. Saturday night I got terrible chills that I could not get to go away and had a fever of 104. I called my cancer care center and they said I should go to the ER. The hospital started off good because when a bald person on chemo walks into the ER they take you right back. After that it all went down hill, no one knew what anyone else was doing and they couldn't find a thing wrong with me. They called my chemo doctor and she said they should put me on some antibiotics but the ER doctor forgot about that and said my doctor didn't want me on any antibiotic but did want to see me Monday morning. So It was about 5am and we headed home with nothing accomplished except my fever had broke and I was feeling better. The next day Sunday was spent sleeping.
Monday morning I went to my chemo doctors and she was able to see that part of my mastectomy site was infected so she put me on iv antibiotics and fluids then at the end I had a reaction to the antibiotics so they gave me benadryl. That put an end to going to work and the rest of the day all I could do was go home and sleep it off. So I took the antibiotics she prescribed to me until Sat morning when my face was covered in a rash. So again I called the doctor they said to stop them and start a new antibiotic on Sunday.
Today I went and saw my surgeon who was suppose to take out my drain tube, so i was really excited about having this done because I hate having a drain tube hooked to me! I get there and he says no not taking it out today there is still fluid to drain out. I told him "fine I will do it myself", he didn't like that answer. Then I saw my chemo doctor and she said the rash is still pretty bad so i needed to get IV antibiotics. Another day I can't go to work because I have to sleep off this benadryl. And tomorrow if the rash is still present she wants to give me steroids. Which I am actually excited about because they always give me lots of energy and make me feel super good!
Now to the good news!!!!!!! On Wednesday I go for my last chemo treatment!!!!!! I will still go every 3 weeks and get a herceptin infusion for a year but no more chemo!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for all the prayers and good thoughts you are passing my way!

Jennifer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you've had such a stressful week ... but very excited that your final chemo treatment is coming up soon! You're a fighter ... and you are surrounded by friends and family fighting right alongside you.

Dennis said...

Sometimes you wonder about doctors

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think God isn't paying attention. But after meeting the er doctors and seeing how incompetent they were, I think he hand selected your regular doctors for you. They are the best.
-Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Aw....sorry to hear about your week. But good about your last chemo!!! :) will continue to keep you in our prayers!!!

-Whitney :)