Friday, July 31, 2009

Remembering Grandma

Grandma Duffy was born 114 years ago today. I've told my students at school so many stories about Grandma so often, they feel like they know her. When we're starting a writing project where they will be writing about a life experience of their own, my example is often a story of a memory I have with Grandma. I have told them about how Grandma and I would drink coffee together, and I would drink from a small cup and put in so much cream and sugar that I probably couldn't taste the coffee. They always are interested in hearing about how afraid I was of the chickens unless I stayed really close by Grandma when we would walk them to the coop. She taught me how to play chinese checkers and to put a jigsaw puzzle together. One of my very favorite memories is of climbing on the big woodpile and picking red raspberries in my little tin bucket. We've tried several times to grow raspberries here, but we've never had much luck. I guess we just don't have a big enough wood pile.

2 comments:

Aunt Pat said...

Yesterday I was thinking about those fun days with Grandma too. We played alot of cards games together at her kitchen table. Those were the good old days!

Dennis said...

Mr. Tucker planted the first raspberries for Grandpa and Grandma. He put out just a few starters. They grew in real hard clay, and were competing with the quack grass. Around 1968 or so Grandma had me take a few starters off the old bushes and I planted them on the front side of the hill. I just dug out a circle in the clay and quackgrass for each starter that I planted. I think I planted about six starters. By the time Mom and Dad moved away they had overtaken the front side of the hill.